A one vehicle accident occurred Friday evening around 7:00 pm claiming the life of Christopher E. Wardlow 43, from Counce. According to eyewitnesses the driver waved to bystanders in the parking lot as he sped towards the Tennessee River. The vehicle came to rest about 100 feet from the bank and sank in an area about thirty feet deep. Swift currents caused by rising flood waters made immediate recovery of the vehicle impossible. “We waited until daylight today because of the river conditions.” Said Melvin Martin, Hardin County Fire Chief and EMA Director. The river was approaching nine inches over flood stage with a swift current during the time of the recovery effort. The vehicle and it’s occupant were recovered at 1:00 pm Saturday afternoon. The incident is still under investigation at this time.
- Tragedy on the Tennessee
- Traffic Stop Ends in Drug Bust
- Tidd Bitts: Stantonville After The Civil War
- K-9 Officer Shot
- “It Takes a Team:” McNairy County Recovery Court celebrates first two graduates
- McNairy County Sheriff's Department Invest in New Technology
- Storms Damage County
- Sunday School In Selmer
- UNI regroups, ready for NDSU challenge
- Badgers athletic director Barry Alvarez expected to announce retirement plans Tuesday
Currently in Selmer
73°F / 58°F
Become a Patron of the Independent Appeal and enjoy rewards while helping to support McNairy county's oldest continually running business and most trusted name in news.