Schools select teachers of year
The faculty of each school in McNairy County has chosen the teacher who will represent the school as the this year’s Teacher of the Year.
The 2011 honorees are Sarah Allison, McNairy Central High School; Karla Burns, Michie Elementary School; Anita Graves, Bethel Springs Elementary; Lisa Holcombe, Selmer Elementary School; Terrie Kerby, Selmer Middle School; Bridgett Maness, Ramer Elementary School; Amy Reid, Adamsville Junior/Senior High School; and Pamela Simon, Adamsville Elementary School.
Collectively, this year’s building-level Teachers of the Year have 121 years of teaching experience. Teaching a wide range of grade levels and content areas, they have earned a reputation among their peers as exemplary educators.
To be eligible for Teacher of the Year consideration, a teacher must meet the following criteria:
• Be a full-time, certified PreK-12th grade teacher
• Teach in a state-accredited public school
• Plan to continue in an active instructional role
• Spend the majority of the school day directly instructing students
• Be in at least the fifth year of teaching in Tennessee public schools
From the field of eight building-level honorees, one is named McNairy County Teacher of the Year. That individual advances to regional competition, which eventually feeds into state and national competition.